We all love to use mocks in our Java tests, right? Add the usual mock framework to your test dependencies, sprinkle a few mock, when and thenWhatever calls in to your code, and happy days. You're able to test things in isolation, and as an added bonus ensure your code is actually calling the stuff … Continue reading Mocking v2.0
TL;DR - We built a Wifi-capable four-way mains socket using a NodeMCU ESP8266 development board, some relays, and the Arduino libraries (but not their hardware). We coded it in C++, which you'll find on GitHub. My son Jake and I have lately become interested in smart-home technology, probably because I've finally caved and welcomed Alexa … Continue reading The voice-activated sandwich toaster!
In the meantime, I've also started work on porting (if that's the right word) Curb to FFI, with a view to moving away from the existing C code.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm now working on Curb again, and currently on Windows. Back in 2006 when I wrote the original Curb, I wouldn't go near a Windows box for religious reasons, and the project has never officially supported the platform. There are plenty of bugs and posts around about people … Continue reading Building Curb on Windows
Way back in 2006, after reading on ruby-talk about people's problems using libcurl with Ruby, I put together a basic C extension to replace the (by-then-unmaintained) bindings that already existed. Little did I know then that it would end up being some of the most popular open-source code I've written. In time, pressures of family, … Continue reading I’m back on the Curb team!
Just a quick note to say that the blog is now back online, but sadly missing quite a few posts that were lost by my old webhost. The last post I've been able to restore is from almost two years ago, when I was just starting out on the drone project. Here's a quick summary of … Continue reading Blog Reboot
Because I like experimenting with things, and because I love cool toys, I've decided the time is right to build myself a drone quadcopter...
I've lately been doing some work with the (awesome) Unity game engine, prototyping a 2D platformer using version 4.3's new 2D mode, and as part of that I needed to create some sprite-sheets for game-related animations and the like. As I've mentioned before, my tools of choice for graphical work are Inkscape and The GIMP, … Continue reading Spritesheets Revisited – Game sprites with Inkscape + Gimp
So I'm currently working on a rails-based internal app for a company I occasionally do some work for (and often, wish I didn't), and for one reason or another I'm stuck developing on a Windows box. I won't go into the reasons for this right now (suffice it to say that I blame Broadcom. Or … Continue reading Random headache #57 – Rails 4 and Nokogiri on Windows
I'm pleased to announce that as of this morning, ORMDroid now has some basic support for one-to-many relationships between entities, thanks to Jacob Ferrero and as hinted at in a previous post. Jacob actually put this together a few months ago, the only hold-up has been me getting around to merging the code in, so … Continue reading One-to-many in ORMDroid – at last!